Ten Reasons to Retire in Lufkin Texas
CHECK OUT THESE TEN REASONS TO RETIRE IN LUFKIN, TEXAS!
- Two Nationally renowned medical Centers - (acknowledged for being in top 5% for over-all patient care in America) Two well-respected, well-staffed medical centers — Memorial Health System and Woodland Heights Medical Center — that provide the optimal in care are located in Lufkin. Our outstanding medical facilities have earned Lufkin the reputation of the region’s medical hub. With our hospitals, Veterans Administration outpatient clinic, and various specialized treatment facilities, our medical facilities attract people from all over the East Texas area seeking excellent health care and cutting edge medical technology.
- Senior Tax Freeze — The City of Lufkin and Angelina County have joined with the Lufkin ISD to freeze Senior and Disabled citizens property taxes in addition to the homestead exemption allowable in Texas.
- Excellent Educational opportunities for lifelong learning - via Angelina College in Lufkin and Stephen F. Austin University only 25 minutes away. You can enroll in affordable community classes at Angelina College to learn anything from cake decorating to computer applications or you can pursue an associate’s degree in a variety of fields. You can also commute a short distance to pursue your undergraduate degree at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches.
- An agreeable Climate — Allows participation in outdoor activities year around (fantastic golf, fishing, hunting, or just walking in the park or gardening) An agreeable climate that allows participation in outdoor activities almost year-round. Our mild climate complements our great golf courses, fantastic fishing, and other outdoor amenities. Angelina County has four distinct seasons with an average annual temperature of 67°. Usually, Angelina County’s winter begins in mid-December and runs through mid-February, leaving many sunny mild days to enjoy a hike on Lufkin’s Azalea Trail or nature trail.
- Affordable, Attractive and Comfortable Housing — To fit all seniors needs from first class subdivisions to senior specific housing to meet all needs.
- Access to a Wide Variety of Leisure Activities — From one of the top 10 Golf courses in Texas, to Hunting, Fishing, Walking Jogging, Tennis, Shopping, Volunteerism, a Fantastic Zoo, 21 Stadium Seat Movie Screens, A State of The Art Fine Arts Theater, High School and College Spectator Sports, Boating and Nature Watching)
- The HUB of Central East Texas — A comfortable small town feel with all of the amenities of a big city due to Lufkin’s Regional service area.
- Tremendous entrepreneurial and volunteer opportunities — Whether your passion is starting yet one more business or getting involved in community improvement projects Lufkin is fantastic for both. From church activities to Meals on Wheels, many organizations offer a warm welcome for full-time or part-time volunteering. Angelina County has a large number of churches, representing diverse denominations, that provide ample opportunity not only to worship, but to get involved as a volunteer in church activities. Angelina County is also host to many festivals and cultural events throughout the year in which to volunteer. Lufkin is also home to service organizations such as Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Junior League and other national service organizations
- Superb Highway Access — Lufkin is within 2-3 hours of Dallas — Ft. Worth, Houston, Shreveport, or Austin via the Texas highway system. Angelina County is only a short drive away from major metropolitan areas such as Houston and Dallas. With Houston approximately 2 hours away down Highway 59 South and Dallas 3 hours away up US Highway 69 North, Lufkin and Angelina County offer the best of both worlds — tranquil, affordable small-town living combined with access to some of the best features of urban life. Retirees can escape the city costs and congestion in just a short distance from major cities & major airports.
- Natural Beauty — Enjoy everything you want in retirement in one of the most naturally beautiful places on earth. Access to a variety of leisure activities from museums to walking trails is right around the corner. You can visit and enjoy a variety of cultural activities and exhibits or enjoy outdoor recreation. Thousands of visitors flock to fish at Lake Sam Rayburn, the largest lake which is situated entirely in Texas. We also boast close proximity to two national forests, and Lufkin is home to a national recognized zoo. Angelina County also offers a variety of cultural arts at Angelina College and SFA, our annual Angelina Arts Alliance venue and several first class museums. Angelina County boasts numerous lakes, parks, tennis and basketball courts, country clubs, public golf courses, movie theaters, a public library, public swimming pools, woodland trails, and baseball and soccer fields.